Sidor

söndag 22 juli 2018

There is no place like home, there is no place like home

Day 7 June 30th Leaving Norway
Leaving Lofoten and Vesterålen.
On the way back to Sweden we spotted amazing mountains with interesting geological textures.
Alfons says I have a fetish for mountains. Oh, I know I have.



 Happy to see the border to Sweden.
 And the soft mountains of Lapland. We stayed one night in Arjeplog in Lapland.
I bought some jewellery in Arjeplog from Sami designers. I bought the necklace in bone and wood at the hotel. The silver earrings (that already got some oxidation) was bought at the Silver museum. The museum tells the stores about how Swedish settlers lived and worked in Lapland but a great deal of the exhibition is about the Sami peapole, how they survived, their culture and their beautiful craftmanship and clothing. As many lived as nomads their clothes and their jewellery was of important economic value, apart from the reindeers.
If you are interested in the Sami people, I can highly recommend the movie Sami Blood. The story takes place in a quite modern time when young people of Sapmi was forced to learn everything in Swedish. The Sami people has been harrassed for a long time for their culture, religion and language. 
11 hours in a car in hot weather can be a challenge. We were so releived when we arrived home safe and sound 11 o'clock in the evening. The trip was an amazing experience and I'm so happy that my oldest wanted to join along with girlfriend. I can recommend you to seek those beautiful spots of the world to explore. Save your money, don't buy crap, and travel more.

3 kommentarer:

  1. It looks really beautiful Lapland. It sounds like an interesting trip and the jewellery is gorgeous. It's always great seeing traditional crafts and culture being carried on via the younger generations. One of my friends is half Finnish, actually Sami descent.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. If you have the opportunity, I can really recommend you to visit northern Scandinavia. It was an amazing trip. Though we didn't stay long in Lapland (we stayed in Norway) I will go to the Lapland mountain again for a Hiking trip some day.

      Radera
  2. Alltså halsbandet...så vackert! Bra köp :)

    SvaraRadera